Friday, January 26, 2007

Baker

There was a song played on Radio 2 the other morning that troubled me a bit, or at least a couple of lines of it.

The song in question was "I Drove All Night" and it was the Roy Orbison version. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Roy (hell, I've even waited around 3 months to receive one of his cds. Any sign yet, Tony?). However, lyrically, the song didn't really fit the performer.

Let's recap;

The offending lyrics are;

"I drove all night to get to you. Is that alright? I drove all night. Crept in your room. Woke you from your sleep. To make love to you"

Now the Cindy Lauper version works well, it makes sense, but applied to Roy, it doesn't.

1.) Ignoring the fact that he probably wasn't allowed to drive because of his limited sight, he does so in the dark. Did he have someone driving him, if so, who?

2.) Perhaps the part that troubled me most. So after driving all that way, bearing in mind he's probably tired, perhaps disorientated, he then breaks into this poor girl's bedroom, and creeps about like a common thief.

Now, at this point I started to wonder, did he turn on the lights? Did he clatter about in the room, knocking things over? Why didn't the girl wake up? Was she sedated? If so, is it because she has a stalker?

3.) The most insidious part. After pretending to be Raffles the gentleman thief, he wakes up the
girl so he can get his wicked way....and then has the cheek to ask "Is that alright?"!!!!!! I'd be screaming blue murder! Or not be too impressed.

Couldn't he have just bought a magazine or something?!

2 Comments:

At 10:05 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

radio 2 at your age?

 
At 7:32 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No joy with roy yet I'm afraid.
Maybe HMV have stopped stocking his CD's after listening to this song.......

 

Post a Comment

<< Home