Sunday, January 14, 2007

Tit

My name is Scott, and I am a mountain biker. There, I said it. Acceptance is the 1st step on the path to recovery and all that.

There's a term used within mountain biking to describe one of the worst things that can happen to you when you're out pedalling your little heart out. It usually happens in an instant, and usually half way round your circuit at the most inopportune point.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I put it to you, I hope you never have to experience the terror that is.....

THE LONG WALK HOME!!!!

I had my first one today, and being honest I wasn't best pleased. It was bad enough that I hadn't been out in a month, and that that month off was spent getting to learn how to hold a pint glass again. It was also bad enough that the weather was poor, really windy, and really cold. To compliment that, I only had shorts on, and my shoes and socks were soaking wet. Perversely the worst of the circuit was over, and it was all down hill from that point, in more ways than one.

You see Ladies and Gentlemen, I found myself on a windswept moor, freezing cold, and swearing a lot because my back brakes had failed. Those of you with a bike can appreciate that this is a major thing, especially if you're about to charge headlong down a hill. I wasn't the happiest of bunnies. Therefore the only thing to do was walk the last couple of miles back to the car park. So, I feel i'm a hardened veteran now. I can regale novices about the time I had to trudge through mud and wind with nothing but a bike and a half eaten biscuit for company (I had the iPod as well, but i'll leave that bit out round the campfire).

Thankfully there's a pub by the car park, so there was light at the end of the tunnel...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home