Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Winter

I'm reading Michael Palin's diaries at the moment. Actually, let me rephrase that so that it doesn't seem like I've broken into his house.

I purchased Michael Palin's "Diaries 1969-1979: The Python Years" a few weeks ago, and have been reading this excellent tome avidly. Not only do you get the impression that he is a thoroughly good bloke, or indeed an insight into the creation of the series and films, but in a quiet way, it's also a social commentary of those years in Britain.

Governments come and go, strikes cripple the country, and the IRA starts its bombing campaign, and people go on pub crawls and then jump in their car. Heady days indeed. However as fine a book as it is, I think there's a slight sinister side to it.

You see, over the course of the book you see a description of the creation and then filming of his Ripping Yarns series. Sounds ok so far. However, following on from this, I felt compelled to buy the series on DVD. This also happened with Terry Gilliam's "Jabberwocky". Subliminal advertising? Maybe.

Now enough of this, I feel the need to watch Life of Brian...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home